- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- Combine dry ingredients. Make sure your mixture is combined well to avoid pockets of baking powder in the finished shortbread.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar and shortening with a hand mixer. Add egg and vanilla.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients and add alternately with milk.
- Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow shortbread to cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and more berries. Enjoy!
Tip: For a gluten-free alternative, use Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 Gluten Free Flour, which can be found in our store!